Friday, June 17, 2011

Sawyer's Birth Story

Here is the long, detailed version of Sawyer's Birth.

We all know that when I was pregnant with Makenna, I did not want to be induced. And I wasn't; my water broke the morning of my induction. Well, I felt the same this time too, I was still fearful of being induced. So much so that even though I had the option of going early, I scheduled my appt for one of the last days possible without having to do all that testing stuff. People, including the docs and nurses thought I was a little crazy. Most people would want their baby out asap, right?

Working in the floral industry, the month of May is pretty busy. We were trying to keep baby in til at least June, so only sitting most of the time at work. At times I didn't think I was going to make it, ha. The craziness at work I thought was going to put me over the edge. Then June came, I made it. Then each day went by, thinking maybe tomorrow. Then a month and a half at 3 cm. Then my due date June 4. Then my scheduled date of June 10 crept up. Thought maybe I should do something about this and try to get her here, but was too tired to even try(I only got to mopping my floor and walking the mall). The days leading to the 10th, the contractions pretty much came to a halt. I guess I was being induced, at least I scheduled the doctor I wanted:)

The hospital called me the day before and told me they would call between 6:30-7:30 am the next morning to tell me when to come in so to be ready. Ready by 6:30 I was. No phone call. Wondered how long I would be waiting. Should I go do something? I didn't want to sit around and wait plus I figured it would be better if we weren't home when Kenna woke up so Nate and I decided to head to Target. I still hadn't heard from the hospital so I decided to call them. They said "Yes, can you come in at 8?" I said "Like in 7 min, sure." "Oh I mean 9." Nate and I walked Target to kill our hour. I did not like waiting. I did not like knowing I was going to go have a baby. I just didn't like this whole thing.

We arrived at the hospital, were in our room, and I started to cry. For some reason it was just so weird to me. The nurses (Tara and Cherie) came in, saw me a little emotional and were so kind. They then put in my IV, not so kind:) actually it was a lot better than the first time around. Work changed insurance on the 1st so the nurse made us make sure we were covered at that hospital. While Nate was downstairs, the nurse was a little iffy about the insurance but kept telling me it was going to be ok and if needed they would get us where we needed to go. Nate came back and said we were good, but the nurse insisted to call the back of the card just to double check. We were cleared. I guess I just figured there would be no issues with the new insurance and hospital that I never checked it out.

After that ordeal, they started my pit at 10:30. They then called my doctor, he came in and saw me a little upset about the induction. He gave me a couple options, one including going home and then having to do testing every so often. No, I was already there. So at 11, he broke my water. Very painful if I may say. Nate went down to the cafeteria to get some lunch. My contractions were getting stonger and more painful. I sat watching TV, trying to breath through them. By the time he got back, they were really starting to hurt. The monitor was just showing them as these not so big things so I thought I was an extreme wimp. My band kept slipping and the nurse kept repositioning it, but it really wasn't picking them up. In the meantime, one of the nurses was curious about Nate's hearing so Nate proceeds to tell the two nurses who have now taken a seat in our room the story of his hearing loss. The nurse was polite to say "Not that you aren't important..."

By this time, I was in some quite pain. The nurse checked me and I was at a 5. (Sidenote: when I was first checked after being admitted, they told me I was 1cm. What? I had been a 3 for a month and a half. I was not happy.) The monitor still wasn't picking up my contractions so I continued to think I was this huge wimp. I was ready for my epidural, but oh wait the anesthesiologist was in surgery with a mom delivering twins. The nurses turned off the pit and another anesthesiologist was called from another floor. I started freaking out again. He would touch my back and it was extremely ticklish. All I could think about was how you aren't suppose to move. They told me it wouldn't start kicking in for about 15 min, but nope they were wrong, thank goodnesss, I didn't feel another contraction as soon as he injected that med. Feeling much better, they checked me again and I was an 8. They turned the pit back on just to keep labor going. From there it was a waiting game. I kept saying how come it was going so fast and now it slowed down. What was going on. The nurse said it was a good thing because we didn't want to go so fast that it would cause distress on the baby. Since the monitor still was not picking up my contractions very well, the nurse suggested an internal monitor, but the doc said since things were progressing so fast, it wasn't necessary.

I was now at a 9+. The nurse told me that if I started to feel the need to push to call asap; they were in the next room delivering another baby. My left leg was completely numb and once again started freaking out(isn't that the whole point of an epidural, not to feel anything). I made Nate get the nurse. She thought I was delivering and called the doc soon to call him off. I was having extreme pain in my tail bone. Nate at some point pushed my happy button, but it wasn't helping. The anethesiologist came back in and gave me another quick dose to help. Just in time to deliver:) The doctor came in and he said I was an 8/9 not 9+; who are these people. We waited just a few minutes than started to push. Since I was so medicated, I was having a hard time at the end knowing if I was actually pushing. I kept asking, "am I pushing?" They kept telling me yes. They kept saying they could see her black hair. I just had to get her over the bone. About 30 min later, I saw her beautiful face waiting for her to start crying. Then I asked, "Is it a her?" I had guessed before delivering that she was going to be about 8.5. Nate thought only 7 something. Oh I was right. 8 lbs 9 oz. and I pushed her out!:) The doctor told me that he knew she was on the bigger side when "she just didn't pop out."

My recovery has been good so far. I was ready to get out of the hospital. This pregnancy and birth were so different. Do I hope I go into labor on my own next time (assuming there is a next time), probably. Even though it was faster than the first, I don't know if I would choose to be induced...

I couldn't believe how big she was. Now she doesn't seem that big. She has dark hair that since has lightened some and when in the light, possibly has some red to it. She has dark hair on her ears, back, and upper arms. Her eyebrows are defined (all the nurses kept commenting that they've never seen a baby with such defined eyebrows). I think her eyes will be brown, we'll have to wait and see. I am still not sure who she looks like. We both agree she has Makenna's nose, but other than that, we don't know. I am just so thankful to have this healthy little/big girl here.

No comments: